Keynote is a presentation software application developed by Apple Inc. and comes with Mac OS X as a part of the iWork suite. With powerful creative tools and myriad dazzling templates, this app empowers you to create gorgeous presentations as you like and share with your audience or across different Apple devices. Despite that Keynote is a good choice for all level of users, some of them may need to uninstall it for personal reasons, such as freeing up the disk space. It should be pointed out that, if you just drag this app to the Trash and think it’s done, then you’re wrong. Mostly its additional files, such as preference files and application support files, still remain on the hard disk. These files might weigh around several Gigabytes, and for people who use SSD storage devices it is a waste of space. So how to get this solved? Continue reading this article to learn about how to remove Keynote on Mac OS X completely.
Manual Steps to Remove Keynote from Mac OS X:
Now let’s start with the Keynote removal process. Please follow the instruction below to avoid potential mistake and ensure successful uninstall. Or if you wanna save your time in getting rid of Keynote, you can scroll down this post and check out Recommended Solution: Uninstall Keynote with MacRemover.
1. Quit Keynote Process(es) via Activity Monitor
Before uninstalling Keynote, you’d better quit this app and end all its processes.
– Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
– Select the process(es) associated with Keynote.
– Click Quit Process icon in the left corner of the window.
– Click Quit in the pop-up dialog box (if that doesn’t work, then try Force Quit).
2. Delete Keynote Application to the Trash
Make sure to log into your Mac with an administrator account, and you will be asked for a password when you try to delete something.
– Head to the Applications folder in the Finder.
– Drag Keynote icon to the Trash in the dock (or select it and press Cmd + Del keys).
For the applications that are installed from the App Store, you can locate the app you wanna delete in the Launchpad, and hold down its icon until the icon begins to wiggle and shows the “X” in the left upper corner. Then click the “X” and click Delete in the confirmation dialog to uninstall it. If the app doesn’t have a delete button (such as the apps that come with OS X), then it cannot be uninstalled by this way.
3. Sweep out Keynote Traces in Finder
Though Keynote has been deleted to the Trash, its lingering files, logs, caches and other miscellaneous contents may be stored stored around the OS X file system. You can manually detect and clean out all components with this app.
– Open the Finder, go to the Menu Bar, open the “Go” menu, select the entry:|Go to Folder… and then enter the path of the Application Support folder: ~/Library
– Search for any files or folders with the program’s name or developer’s name in the ~/Library/Preferences/, ~/Library/Application Support/ and ~/Library/Caches/ folders. Right click on those items and click Move to Trash to delete them.
– Meanwhile, search the following locations to identify and delete associated items:
Besides, there may be some kernel extensions or hidden files that are not obvious to identify or locate. In that case, you can do a Google search about the components for Keynote. Usually kernel extensions are located in /System/Library/Extensions and end with the extension.kext, while hidden files are mostly located in your home folder. You can use Terminal (inside Applications/Utilities) to list the contents of the directory in question and delete the offending item.
4. Empty the Trash to Permanently Remove Keynote
If you are determined to delete Keynote permanently, the last thing you need to do is emptying the Trash. Notice: you can not undo this act, so make sure that you haven’t mistakenly deleted anything before doing this act.
– Right click on the Trash in the dock.
– Choose Empty Trash in the list (or choose Empty Trash under the Finder menu).
In case you cannot empty the Trash, reboot your Mac and do it again. If you change your mind about deleting something, before emptying the Trash, you can right click on the items in the Trash and choose Put Back in the list.
That’s all. After performing these steps you should have successfully remove Keynote and its associated files to make more disk space available.
Recommended Solution: Uninstall Keynote with MacRemover
If you encounter any issues in removing Keynote (such as you’re not sure which files or folders are associated with this app), or you just wanna uninstall it in a much more convenient and timesaving way, you can utilize a professional third-party uninstaller to resolve these worries. Here MacRemover is strongly recommended for you to remove Keynote with ease. It is a lite but powerful utility that helps you thoroughly remove unwanted, corrupted or incompatible apps from your Mac. Now let’s see how it works to complete Keynote uninstall within a few clicks.
- Download MacRemover and install it by dragging its icon to the Application folder.
- Run MacRemover in the Launchpad, select Keynote appearing on the interface, and click Run Analysis button to proceed.
- Review Keynote files and folders, click Complete Uninstall button and then click Yes in the pop-up dialog box to confirm Keynote uninstall.
The whole removal process may take a few seconds to finish, and then the Keynote app as well as its belonging items will be successfully removed from your Mac!
This tutorial details two effective solutions to Keynote removal, and either of them works for most of the apps on your Mac. As a lightweight, professional and easy-to-operate utility, MacRemover can automatically scan and then promptly wipe out all the traces of target application without any hassle. If you encounter any problem in any app removal, try this automatic tool to resolve your troubles!